Below is updated information from the South African Event Poster.
Please note that you are invited to come to any or all of these events. For instance, if singing is all you are interested in, you may come Saturday at 6:30 PM after the film Invictus for the supper and learning the South African Freedom songs, and then come Sunday morning at 8:50 to sing them with the choir.
If all you can do is come Sunday morning at 10:00 AM, you will still get much of the benefit, because singing these songs in worship with master percussionist Steve Ferraris will fill you with the powerful spiritual energy of the South African freedom movement, and the rest of the service will support the songs with stories and scripture and reflection.
Nelson Mandela and the South African Freedom Movement
Songs That Can Change the World
Films, Feast and Freedom Songs
United Church of Strafford, Vermont
April 27th-29th, All events free, Come when you can
- Friday April 27th 7:00-9:30 PM the film Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, starring Idris Elba and Naomie Harris. Age 15 or older.
- Saturday April 28th 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM the Clint Eastwood film Invictus starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. PG-13
- Saturday, April 28th 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM Supper and South African Freedom Songs, led by Annemieke McLane These songs powered the anti-apartheid movement, and they inspire, empower and encourage those who sing them today.
- Sunday, April 29th 8:50 AM Rehearsing South African Freedom Songs led by Annemieke McLane with master percussionist Steve Ferraris.
- Sunday, April 29th 10:00 AM Worship, singing Freedom Is Coming (Oh Freedom), Siyahamba, Thuma Mina and We Shall Not Give Up the Fight!
All the events are free of charge and take place at the
United Church of Strafford, Vermont, on the common in the Upper Village.