Are you concerned about the immigrant children who are being forcibly separated from their parents and incarcerated by federal ICE agents?
John Moore/Getty Images
Please come to a COMMUNITY FORUM
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, Thetford Hill Congregational Church, 7-9 pm
Welcome: Rev. Robin Junker-Boyce, Pastor of First Congregational Church of Thetford, Sherry Merrick, Thetford peace activist and event organizer
Moderator: Annelise Orleck, Thetford resident and Dartmouth history professor
- VT Congressman Peter Welch will video call us from Washington, DC, to discuss his findings during a tour of the Texas/Mexico border this week, including detention facilities where immigrant children are being held.
- Update from U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy’s office by Susan Sussman, caseworker for Sen. Leahy who specializes in immigration issues. She will discuss the Justice Department decision to separate thousands of immigrant children from their parents at the border and incarcerate them. Even families who legally request asylum face losing their children.
- Ray Chin, PhD, Child and Family Clinical Psychologist, will discuss the trauma of children who are separated from parents.
- Rev. John Gregory-Davis, co-pastor with his wife Susan of the Meriden (NH) UCC Church, will discuss what NH and VT faith communities are doing to protest federal immigration policy.
DISCUSSION: What can we do?
- Establish sanctuaries in our communities/churches?
- Vote for policies directing local police not to cooperate with ICE/Border Patrol in its raids on undocumented immigrants who have committed no crimes, and who are living and working in our communities?
- Leaflet areas where the Border Patrol has raided locations outside of its legal jurisdiction, including the White River Junction Greyhound station, which is more than 100 miles from the border?
- Sign up for actions: Marches, Vigils, Protests, Civil Disobedience?
- Support lawyers and other advocates working directly with these incarcerated children and their parents?
- Pursue other forms of protest against/boycotts of military contractors such as MVM Inc. and General Dynamics Corp., both based in Virginia, who profit from transporting and incarcerating these children?
WHO TO CONTACT
Chief of Staff John F. Kelly
Address: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington, D.C. 20500 Phone: 202-456-1414
Attorney General Jeff Sessions
Address: US Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20530-0001
DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen
Address: Secretary of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C. 20528
Email: DHSSecretary@hq.dhs.gov Phone: 202-282-8495
Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan
Address: Immigration and Customs Enforcement, 500 12th St. SW, Washington, D.C. 20536
Phone: Phone: (202) 732-4285
HHS Secretary Alex Azar
Address: Office of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201
Email: Secretary@HHS.gov Phone: 202-690-7000
Acting Assistant ACF Secretary Steven Wagner
Address: Administration for Children and Families, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201
Office of Refugee Resettlement Director Scott Lloyd
Address: Office of Refugee Resettlement, Mary E. Switzer Building, 330 C ST SW, Washington DC 20201
Your two senators and one House representative. Address: Look up here.